Travel

Feb 29. Things went so smoothly yesterday they just had to go haywire today. Amtrak is the only option from Palatka for public transportation. I booked a trip to Tampa that had a connection to Ft Myers on the phone last night. This morning when I got to the train station I called up the 800 number to find out the status of the train. TWO HOURS AND FIFTY MINUTES LATE!!! My biggest concern was making the connection to the bus to Fort Myers. And then a train whistle.

Could it be?! Yes. A train. I'm going to be on time after all.

The train approached the platform and kept on gliding by. It was the non-stop train from Lorton, VA (Washington DC) carrying people and their cars down to Orlando. What a disappointment. On the good side, I now had time to mail some stuff home that I no longer needed. When another train finally appeared, it wasn't the right train either. Finally the right train showed and we were off. To make up time it didn't go to Tampa but went from Lakeland straight to Miami and we were bused from Tampa. The connecting bus to Fort Myers it turns out is an Amtrak bus that has no choice but to wait for the train. They were so apologetic about the train being so late that when I went in to pay for the Fort Myers leg they let me ride free.